KDRA News Network

Wait until 8th to get a smartphone! What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below!

What do you think about this campaign to encourage kids to wait until 8th grade to get a smartphone? ? Share you thoughts in our comments section below!

“Why wait?   There is a reason why top Silicon Valley executives are saying no to the smartphone until at least 14 for their children. In fact, there is a long list of reasons and parents need to know them.

SMARTPHONES ARE CHANGING CHILDHOOD

Childhood is changing for children. Playing outdoors, spending time with friends, reading books and hanging out with family is happening a lot less to make room for hours of snap chatting, instagramming, and catching up on You Tube. With children spending anywhere between 3 to 7 hours daily in front of a screen, many childhood essentials are pushed aside for online amusement.

SMARTPHONES ARE ADDICTIVE

New research shows dependence on your smartphone may produce some of the same addictive brain responses similar to alcohol, drug and gambling addictions. Smartphones are like slot machines in your children’s pocket constantly persuading them to crave more. The tech industry intentionally designs smartphone apps and social media for people to use for long periods of time because this is how they make their money.

SMARTPHONES ARE AN ACADEMIC DISTRACTION

Elementary and middle school years establish the foundation for your child’s academic success. Children learn how to productively manage time, projects and homework. Introducing a constant distraction with a smartphone is paving a path for academic mediocrity. Studies show that after a child receives a smartphone the child’s grades are likely to suffer. Another study found that children who attend schools with smartphone bans did better on tests.

SMARTPHONES IMPAIR SLEEP

Studies show that the use of smartphones and other portable devices with screens affects the quantity and quality of sleep in children and teens. Adolescents are likely restless because they anticipate receiving texts and social media messages from friends, which affects their nighttime routine. Some children even wake up in the middle of the night to check texts or social media. Sleep disturbance in childhood is known to have adverse effects on health, including poor diet, obesity, weakened immune system, stunted growth, and mental health issues.

SMARTPHONES INTERFERE WITH RELATIONSHIPS

Many parents regret allowing their child to have a smartphone because they have experienced the way the smartphone is destructive to relationships. The parent child relationship suffers. Children are often inattentive with the constant distraction the phone brings. Face to face relationships dwindle as children shift their time and energy to investing in their online “friendships.”

SMARTPHONES INCREASE THE RISK FOR ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION

Children are not emotionally equipped to navigate tricky social media waters at such an early age.  Viewing someone else’s highlight reel on social media often leads youth to think they are missing out or are not enough compared with their peers. Research shows that the more time someone uses social media the more likely they are to be depressed.

In addition, when children overuse technology, the constant stimulation of the brain causes the hormone cortisol to rise. Too much cortisol can inhibit a child from feeling calm. The loss of tranquility can lead to serious anxiety disorders.

SMARTPHONES PUT YOUR CHILD AT RISK FOR CYBER BULLYING

Bullying is no longer limited to the playground or locker room. Bullies seek to harm children through social media and texts often making retreat for the victim impossible. The most common medium used for cyber bullying is the phone. Nearly 43% of children have been bullied online. Only one in 10 victims will inform a parent or trusted adult of their abuse.

TECHNOLOGY EXECUTIVES BAN SMARTPHONES FOR THEIR CHILDREN

According to a New York Times piece, many technology executives wait until their child is 14 before they allow them to have a phone. While these teenagers can make calls and text, they are not given a data plan until 16. If leaders of digital giants like Google, eBay, Apple and Yahoo are delaying the smartphone then should this not give us pause?  Executives that flourish on the success of technology are protecting their children from the smartphone. Should we not do the same?”

TAKE THE PLEDGE

https://www.waituntil8th.org/

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Wait until 8th to get a smartphone! What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below!”

1. Joseph Martinez on January 16th, 2018 11:58 am

You should get one in 6th grade.

Ms. Flare Reply:

Why? Why 6th and not 8th?

• Wait until 8th to get a smartphone! What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below!

Entertainment

Throw Shine Over Shade!

Trending

Spilling the T on choir and band and all that jazz!

Trending

KDRA – español – entrevista con Señora Thomas

Trending

D’Back Debates win first place at the Galactic Clash of the Goliaths

Showcase

8th Grade Trip to Disneyland/CA Adventure

Top Stories

DRA Originals -Renaissance Rally Highlights

Top Stories

AVID field trip to UCR on February 27

News

ASB Activities for Week of Feb.12 – 16

Top Stories

Valentine’s Day dance canceled due to poor ticket sales

Sports Center

Basketball Schedule 2018

The Student News Site of Desert Ridge Academy