KDRA News Network

What’s up, Ms. DeAngelo?

Nickolas Galvan, Reporter

Q & A with Ms. DeAngelo

The other day I emailed a new teacher here at DRA a couple of questions to see what’s going on in her mind and to see what she thinks and likes about DRA so far. Let’s see what she had to say about DRA!

The first question I asked her was an obvious question and that is probably a no brainer. How many years have you been teaching here at DRA? Her answer was so shocking it ripped a hole in the sky and the answer was… one year.

Second question was, where did you go to college that made you so smart? I know where I went to college and that’s Harvard and it is located in China, and I’m pretty sure I’m smart because I know how to add, like one plus one is forty, right?

Ms. DeAngelo:  “Can’t say that college really made me smart. I think ‘smart’ mostly comes from two things: how hard someone works and how motivated they are to learn more. I will say that a good college surrounds you with people who also work really hard and are very curious about their field of study. I studied for my Bachelor’s degree at San Francisco State University, where I was surrounded by a large group of biologists who were very ambitious and motivated to learn as much as they could about their study organisms, which helped me to also be very motivated to learn. I have a Master’s degree from Yale University, where people are the top experts in their fields and students are those who are very invested in learning as much as possible about their field of study.”

Wow! Did you read that carefully? I know Ms. DeAngelo is a great teacher, but I had no idea she got her Master’s degree from Yale!

The fourth question I asked her was about what she likes most about teaching science. Her answers were so energetic and exciting:

Ms. DeAngelo:  “I LOVE SCIENCE!!! And I love talking about and discussing science. I think science is SO COOL because there is also something new to learn–the world is always changing, and the organisms that live on Earth change with it.  You can study things that are too small for the eye to see or so big, like the universe, that are unimaginable. So for me, science is never boring because it is always changing and because there is always something new to discover.” 

Her answer makes me appreciate science more and what is has to offer and you should go outside and go explore what nature has to offer and study it.)

Fifth question had to do with why she wanted to learn science. When did you want to educate yourself in science and why?

Ms. DeAngelo: “I always loved nature and being outside when I was a kid. My dream was to have a farm (which I would still like to do someday). I loved animals and plants, and I studied trees and shells and flowers. In high school, though, I became really interested in scientific investigation when I took my first biology class. My teacher asked us lots of questions, which really intrigued me. I was so intrigued that I started asking ‘why’ about all sorts of things. Science is a good place to ask ‘why’ because there is almost an endless amount of stuff to learn. Later on in college, I studied engineering but then went back to biology and research.”

Keep on dreaming Ms.DeAngelo, one day you will achieve your dream and everyone here at DRA will cheer you on. Great answer by the way and yes, it is a great way to ask questions.

The final question I asked her was about what’s going to happen in the future for her class. Do you want to tell us about any big project that’s going on in your class? Also I’m pretty sad that this is the last question, and I love asking her questions and I think I’ll ask her more when I go into her class.

Ms. DeAngelo: “YES!!!!! INVESTIGATION!!!! We started this big investigation on the first day of school, when I did a demonstration that seemingly made water disappear. Everybody wanted to know, “how did the water disappear?” But instead of giving students the answer, I asked students to find the answer themselves, by doing research. This is so exciting because students get to do all their own research –asking questions, collaborating with other students, finding reliable sources, and gathering evidence to support their idea about what happened to the water. It’s also fun because students get to create their work on their own–I am helping the investigations but not telling anyone where to look for information or if their ideas are ‘right’. In reality, science is never right or wrong; we can only find evidence that best supports whatever has occurred. Students are learning that they have the ability to find any information that they are interested in, which is the most powerful thing that anyone can learn!”

Wow that’s pretty great to hear what’s going on and yes that is pretty crazy how the water just disappeared.

I say it was awesome getting to know our new science teacher here at DRA. She is a great addition to our Diamondback family. Thank you for taking your time to read this article!  Have an amazing day!