Meet Mr. Carnes, DRA’s new 8th grade math teacher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Born and raised in the Coachella Valley and being a graduate of Palm Desert High School, I am very excited to be joining the DRA staff. I have more than 15 years of experience in public education. I recently completed my fourth year as an EdTech TOSA for the Coachella Valley Unified School District. In my math classroom, I used the iPad daily with my students and integrated technology on a regular basis to flip my instruction. 

As an EdTech TOSA, I supported students and teachers with the integration of technology in their daily lessons.  I was responsible for writing curriculum for K-12, multiple subject instruction, training staff and students in the implementation of technology in the classroom, training district leadership in the implementation of technology at their school sites, and preparing staff developments for more than 900 teachers.  I also helped develop the curriculum for courses such as SAMRai (bit.ly/samrai), SAMRai 2.0 (bit.ly/samrai2), ISTEcs (bit.ly/istecs), a Digital Curriculum Map (bit.ly/cvusddcm), and an iPad bootcamp (bit.ly/cvusdipadbootcamp) for students. All of these courses are designed to further the integration of the 4 Cs and UDL. I am also an active member of CUE and currently serve as the vice president of our local CoachellaCUE chapter. 

I am blessed to be married to a wonderful wife, Carrie, who currently stays home with our daughter, aged 4 and son, aged 7. She is an award winning math teacher and hopes to continue her teaching career when our kids are old enough to be in school. Our son is currently a student at Oliphant Elementary. As you can imagine between dance, sports, and all the school activities they keep us quite busy (and exhausted most of the time). I enjoy coaching and taking an active role in as many of their events as possible. 

Being a resident of North Indio I am excited to live in the community of the students we serve. I can hardly contain my excitement when thinking about the opportunity to work with, learning from, and growing with those of you who share my same passion for learning. Thank you for the warm welcome to DRA.

[email protected]