Meet Mr. Solis, DRA’s new assistant principal

I am originally from the southeast Los Angeles area, and completed a BS in Criminology at Long Beach State University. I started my career as a math teacher working in Long Beach Unified, and later in LAUSD -all in the middle school setting. During that time, I extended my professional responsibilities by writing curriculum, participating in district level committees, and developing leadership skills as a department chair of both math and sciences. Having an interest in school leadership, I completed a Masters in Educational Leadership at the University of California at Santa Barbara. About 12 years ago, my wife and I relocated to the Coachella Valley area. I have worked at both Wilson Middle and later at Col. Mitchell Paige while employed at Desert Sands -originally as a math teacher and subsequently as an academic coach. During my career I have presented at numerous conferences and county level training’s on the subjects of technology, mathematics instruction, and English language learners. I believe that technology should be fully integrated within all instruction, and have worked extensively with the UC and CSU programs in relation to the MESA program -as well as coached many LEGO robotics teams as a teacher. I’ve been awarded 3 times as ‘Teacher of the year’ in two different school districts, as well as RCOE’s BEST Award for my work with English Language Learners (ELL). I currently participate in DSUSD’s NISL Executive Development Program, where I am learning how to increase student achievement using world class research based strategies. I believe strongly that all students can learn and be successful in school; I’ve worked extensively to support English Language Learners and students with disabilities in my roles as both an educator and as a coach. As an educator over the past 23 years I’ve learned that while it’s important to have high expectations for all learners, it’s also important to support students and their families/guardians all throughout the process so that they can achieve their potential. I enjoy the outdoors with my wife and daughter, and love to fly fish and collect fossils. 

My email is [email protected]